[R] using the design matrix to correctly configure contrasts

Karl Brand k.brand at erasmusmc.nl
Wed Jun 2 16:01:49 CEST 2010

[Reposting to list]

Thank you Rich.

I still don't get it.

If i understand correctly- the MMC example on maize data outlines an
issue with the multiple ties between group means. As a result of this,
"user specified contrasts" needed specifying.

Its this part, understanding the design matrix (ie., the 'treatment
contrast' for the ANOVA &/or lm design) so that one knows *how* to set
up cunstom contrasts- the underlying logic- that i need to learn. Demystify.

In this maize example, if it is explained, regretfully i missed it.
Perhaps i'm making somthing out of nothing, its self evident and i'm
just complicating it. In that case a bucket of cold water is what i
need. But maybe you have another example? Or an explicit tutorial
covering this?

Unfortunatley the local stats here are thin on the ground and thus
overworked. No time for "R-101" for troublsome biologists like me...

Back to the miaze example in case i missed 'it', and with sincere thanks
for your suggestion,

karl

--
Karl Brand <k.brand at erasmusmc.nl>