[R] Problems installing data package on Windows

Erick Rocha Fonseca erick.fonseca at fgv.br
Wed Jun 2 15:02:37 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I'm having difficulties installing a package on Windows. It has only R
data files, no code. I've built it on a Linux platform and installed it
there without problems. When I tried installing the .tar.gz on Windows,
via install.packages, I got the following errors:

Error in gzfile(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
1: In unzip(zipname, exdir = dest) :
  error 1 in extracting from zip file
2: In gzfile(file, "r") :
  cannot open compressed file 'pkgname.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION', probable
reason 'No such file or directory'

After searching in the web, I tried installing the Rtools kit. The
problem with install.packages remains, but I managed to install it with
R CMD INSTALL. What could be wrong with install.packages? As far as I
understood, installing a package without source code shouldn't need the
resources in Rtools.

Thanks,

Erick Fonseca