[R] hatching posibility in Panel.Polygon

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Jul 28 19:58:00 CEST 2010

Tufte discusses hash lines in his book "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" and does a better job of it than I can.  The short version is that the hashing can actually produce optical illusion effects that distort the information.  (and often don't copy well either).

Printing and copying are good things to think about in generating graphs, but I think that using shades of gray, or no fill with labels, or other options are still much preferable to hashing.  Consider making multiple simple graphs rather than one all inclusive complicated graph.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org