[R] Introductory statistics and introduction to R

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 19:55:16 CEST 2010

Hi Marsh,

I taught an intro to R course and have posted all the materials up on
the web: http://psych-swiki.colorado.edu:8080/LearnR.

Most learning in R comes from doing, not reading, and that's how I
structured my course. All the lectures/HWs can be done individually,
and the keys are there to check how at least I solved the problems. A
good intro R book would definitely be of help as well.

Best of luck,

Matt

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM, G. Jay Kerns <gjkerns at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Marsh,
>
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Marsh Feldman <MarshFeldman at cox.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a bright, diligent second-year graduate student who wants to learn
>> statistics and R and will, in effect, be taking a tutorial from me on these
>> subjects. (If you've seen some of my questions on this list, please don't
>> laugh.) As an undergrad he majored in philosophy, so this will be his first
>> foray into computer programming and statistics.
>>
>> I'm thinking of having him use "Introductory Statistics with R" by Peter
>> Dalgaard, but I'm unable to tell if the book requires calculus. I don't
>> think this student knows calculus, so this would be a deal breaker. Can
>> someone tell me if my student can get through this book starting out with
>> just knowledge of algebra?
>
> Short answer: Yes.  The long answer is also Yes.
>
> (Not really, it depends on what you mean by 'get through'.)
>

>> Also, do you have other suggestions for texts, manuals, web sites, etc. that
>> would introduce statistics and R simultaneously?
>
> Have you seen this?
>
> http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=books:intrstat
>
> Good luck,
> Jay

> G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor
> Department of Mathematics & Statistics
> Youngstown State University
> Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
> Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
> Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
> -3302 Department
> -3170 FAX
> VoIP: gjkerns at ekiga.net
> E-mail: gkerns at ysu.edu