[R] Introductory statistics and introduction to R

Marsh Feldman MarshFeldman at Cox.Net
Tue Jul 27 16:46:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have a bright, diligent second-year graduate student who wants to
learn statistics and R and will, in effect, be taking a tutorial from me
on these subjects. (If you've seen some of my questions on this list,
please don't laugh.) As an undergrad he majored in philosophy, so this
will be his first foray into computer programming and statistics.

I'm thinking of having him use "Introductory Statistics with R" by Peter
Dalgaard, but I'm unable to tell if the book requires calculus. I don't
think this student knows calculus, so this would be a deal breaker. Can
someone tell me if my student can get through this book starting out
with just knowledge of algebra?

Also, do you have other suggestions for texts, manuals, web sites, etc.
that would introduce statistics and R simultaneously?

Thanks,

     Marsh Feldman