[R] Time-dependent covariates in survreg function

Dimitris Rizopoulos d.rizopoulos at erasmusmc.nl
Wed Jul 28 10:35:56 CEST 2010

Dear Michael,

AFAIK survreg() cannot handle time-dependent covariates. In particular,
things are getting more complicated under the accelerated failure time
framework when it comes to the handling of time-dependent covariates.

Moreover, it is important (for both Cox and AFT models) to determine
what type of the time-dependent covariate you have in your problem. Is
it exogenous (aka external) or endogenous (aka  internal) -- for info
have a look at [1, Section 6.3]. For exogenous time-dependent covariates
you can still use the time-dependent version of the Cox model. However,
for endogenous ones you might have considerable bias if you do so.

For endogenous time-dependent covariates an alternative is to use
package JM (http://www.jstatsoft.org/v35/i09,
http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=JM,
http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=packages:cran:jm) that has both
relative risk and AFT models available.

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

[1] Kalbfleisch, J. and Prentice, R. (2002). The Statistical Analysis of
Failure Time Data, 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, New York.