[R] Meaning of proc.time()

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 12:42:06 CEST 2010

This is reporting on the accumulated values of the user CPU, system
CPU and elapsed time.  The 'user + system' values indicate how much
CPU has been used to process whatever has occurred in the R session so
far.  To get the time to execute a statement, or block of code, you
can use 'system.time' or take the difference in two values of
proc.time:

> a <- proc.time()
> for(i in 1:1e6) x <- 1
> proc.time() - a  # elapsed
   user  system elapsed
   0.38    0.05   42.48

Here is some stuff I typed in at the console.  It took me 42 seconds
(elapsed or wall clock time) to type in the commands to the GUI.  I
executed a simple 'for' loop for 1,000,000 iteration and this required
0.43 CPU seconds (user + system).

> a <- proc.time()
> for(i in 1:1e7) x <- 1
> proc.time() - a  # elapsed
   user  system elapsed
   3.33    0.03   18.14

Notice that I executed the 'for' loop 10,000,000 times and the CPU
time is now 3.36 seconds, or about 10X more than the first one which
is about what you would expect.   This is a common way of determining
what portions of your script are taking the most resource.

HTH