[R] Discrepancy in help for object.size() and question on how to round object sizes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 14:45:24 CEST 2010

On 25/07/2010 7:58 AM, Jennifer Lyon wrote:
> I think there is a discrepancy In the help for object.size().
>
> In the usage section there is the comment:
> ## S3 method for class 'object_size':
>
> while in the value section there is the text:
>  An object of class ‘"object.size"’ ...
>
> And R itself says:
>
>  > class(object.size(letters))
> [1] "object_size"

Thanks, I'll fix the typo.

> Also, I was trying to print out object sizes in Kb, but rounded to
> whole number of units, but I could not
> figure out how to do that without having to replicate the math in the
> print method for object.size.

I don't think there's any simple way to do it.  You can see the print
method using

utils:::print.object_size

and it has one decimal point hard coded into the calls to round().  So
you could copy that print method and change the rounding, or if you
don't mind sloppy truncating rather than proper rounding, you could do a
hack like this:

wholesize <- function(x, units="b") {
    size <- capture.output(print(object.size(x), units=units))
    cat( sub("\\.[[:digit:]]", "", size), "\n" )
}

We could add a "decimals" argument to the version in R, but I'd rather
not:  it just introduces another point for people to confuse formatting
with rounding, e.g. if the size is exactly 1000 Kb, should it be printed
as 1000.0 Kb if you ask for 1 decimal?  (Currently it will print as 1000
Kb.)

Duncan Murdoch