[R] Odp: R forum

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Jul 22 13:08:34 CEST 2010

  Also:

       1.  Have you used "help.start()"?  This opens a display in a
browser with links to the available manuals.

       2.  There are multiple mailing lists and multiple search engines
listed in "www.r-project.org".

       3.  Have you subscribed?  I had the impression that moderator
approval was only required for questions from non-subscribers.

       4.  The "sos" package available from CRAN searches all the help
pages in contributed packages and returns the results as a data.frame of
class "findFn", with powerful union, intersection, subsetting, and
summary functions.  The default "print" method displays the results in a
table in a web browser displaying first all the matches in the package
with the most matches, with hot links to the selected manual pages.  I'm
the lead author of the package, and I developed it to help me quickly
find all the help pages and packages with apparent connections to a
particular search strategy.  The package also includes a vignette to
make it easier to learn.

       5.  Have you tried "help.search"?  I rarely use it, because it
searches only installed packages and has been quite slow in my
experience.  However, it is much faster than posting a question to r-help.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves