[R] Interactions in GAMMs

Vito Muggeo (UniPa) vito.muggeo at unipa.it
Wed Jul 21 17:27:46 CEST 2010

Hi Karen,
I think you should decide what you mean for "interaction". s(x:y) is
meaningless

If you want to fit a surface you should use s(x,y).

If you want to fit a varying coefficient model (interaction between a
linear and a smooth term) you should use the argument by in s().

The help files of the mgcv package by S. Wood  are quite clear and they
also include a lot of examples.

Hope this helps you

vito

Karen Moore ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I've an issue adding an interaction to a GAMM:
>
> My model was of form:
>
> gamm1 <- gamm(TOTSR ~ fROT + s(PH) + s(LOI) + s(ASP) + s(SQRT_ELEV) + CANCOV
> + s(SQRT_TOTCWD) + s(WELLF) + s(WELLN) + s(OLDWDLD) + s(DISTWOOD) +
> s(Annprec) + s(OLDWDLD:DISTWOOD) + (1|fSITE),  family = poisson, data =
> BIOFOR2)
>
> with interaction of s(OLDWDLD:DISTWOOD).
>
> However I got this error message below but don't know what it means? (my
> data is composed of info for 150 plots)
>
> #I Warning messages:
> #2: In OLDWDLD:DISTWOOD :
>  # numerical expression has 150 elements: only the first used
> #3: In OLDWDLD:DISTWOOD :
> #  numerical expression has 150 elements: only the first used
>
> Can anyone offer advice on how to include this interaction in GAMM model?
> Thanks
>
> Karen Moore
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Vito M.R. Muggeo