[R] Objects within environment

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 13:18:09 CEST 2010

On 21/07/2010 5:57 AM, Megh Dal wrote:
> Hi all, I have following environments loaded with my current R session:
>
>> search()
> [1] ".GlobalEnv"        "package:stats"     "package:graphics"  "package:grDevices"
> [5] "package:utils"     "package:datasets"  "package:methods"   "Autoloads"
> [9] "package:base"
>
> How can I find the objects under a specific environment? Here I tries following:
>
>> objects(envir="package:base")
> Error in objects(envir = "package:base") : invalid 'envir' argument
>
> It would be great if somebody would point me the correct arguments for object() function to find the onjects associated with it. In help file it is written that:
> " envir: an alternative argument to ‘name’ for specifying the
>           environment evaluation environment. Mostly there for back
>           compatibility"
> What is the wrong in my code?

The easiest way to pick an item from the search list is by number:

objects(3)
  or
ls(3)

will give you the objects in the graphics package, with the search list
as above.  You can also specify the name as the name argument, e.g.

objects("package:base")

If you want to use the envir argument (why?), you need to give an
environment, not the name of one.

Duncan Murdoch