[R] Historical Libor Rates

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Tue Jul 20 21:16:53 CEST 2010

Hi AAditya,

I really wasn't trying to be rude. Sarcastic, yes. Rude, no.

The list is frequented by people ranging from leading statistics
professors to students looking for someone to do their homework for
them. I only receive the digest form of the r-help list and saw that
someone had already answered you by telling you to post your question on
another list. I thought the LIBOR must be online and did a quick search
for it, immediately finding the link I sent you. But I thought you might
be looking for it in a format other than a web page, such as a cvs file
for download. In other words, I actually thought you had either not
searched for the data yourself or didn't know how to read a web page
into R. Rather than let stand the suggestion you take your question to
another list, I thought I could be more helpful by directing you to a
data source and giving you the lead on how to read it into R. On the
chance you had not searched for it yourself, I included the sarcastic humor.

Frankly, I didn't even look to see if the web page had the overnight
LIBOR but probably should have, because I'm familiar with the LIBOR for
my own work. ("Probably" because some purposes are better served by data
covering longer intervals.)

As a general rule, besides being explicit, it's always a good idea to
tell others on a help list what one has already tried, so they don't do
unnecessary, duplicate work in their efforts to help. Had you said you'd
tried searching with Google, I would not have had the opening for
sarcasm (which I couldn't resist), and you probably would have realized
you needed to mention the overnight rate in your post.

I appreciate you saying that you should have been more explicit, and I
hope you'll accept my explanation and apology. I was genuinely trying to
be helpful yet funny, believing you may not have done the search
yourself. If you had done the search, then I thought you would either
just blush and realize you should have been more explicit about a
missing detail or appreciate that someone had told you how to read the
web page data into R. I certainly did not intend to offend.

Hopefully this clears the air.

Best wishes,
Marsh Feldman

--
Dr. Marshall Feldman, PhD
Director of Research and Academic Affairs
CUSR Logo
Center for Urban Studies and Research
<http://www.uri.edu/prov/research/urbanstudies.html>
The University of Rhode Island <http://www.uri.edu>