[R] Standard Error for individual patient survival with survfit and summary.survfit

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Fri Jul 16 15:15:03 CEST 2010

> Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these two standard
> errors and how should I interpret the confidence intervals and std.err
> given these differences?

help(survfit.object) will give you the answer.  The std in the object is
for the cumulative hazard, the printout uses a Taylor series argument to
compute the se of the survival.

(The are several reasons for this choice, including that se(survival) is
not well defined by the standard formulas when S=0).

Terry Therneau