[R] Sweave: infelicities with lattice graphics

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Thu Jul 15 22:51:27 CEST 2010

In a paper I'm writing using Sweave, I make use of lattice graphics, but
don't want to explicitly show (or explain)
in the article text the print() wrapper I need in code chunks for the
graphs to appear.
I can solve this by including each chunk twice, with different options,
as in

<<ortho-xyplot1-code, keep.source=TRUE, eval=FALSE>>=
library(nlme)
library(lattice)
xyplot(distance ~ age|Sex, data=Orthodont, type='b', groups=Subject,
pch=15:25,
    col=palette(), cex=1.3, main="Orthodont data")
@
<<ortho-xyplot1,fig=TRUE, include=FALSE, echo=FALSE, width=6, height=6>>=
library(nlme)
library(lattice)
print(xyplot(distance ~ age|Sex, data=Orthodont, type='b',
groups=Subject, pch=15:25,
    col=palette(), cex=1.3, main="Orthodont data"))
@

but then, if I decide to change the plotting code, I have to make
changes in two places.  Is there some
feature of Sweave or lattice I've missed that would simplify this?
Re-use of code chunks doesn't seem
to apply here.

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.