[R] how to update a bugs-model from inside R using R2WinBUGS

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Jul 15 15:18:22 CEST 2010

On 14.07.2010 18:31, Ben Bolker wrote:
> Frédéric Holzwarth<frederic.holzwarth<at>  uni-leipzig.de>  writes:
>

>> Hello there,
>>
>> is there a way to update a model, which was called by "bugs()"? For
>> instance starting with few iterations and then updating more and more,
>> as is possible inside the WinBUGS-window. If set "debug=TRUE", then the
>> window remains open and updating is possible, but it is no longer
>> written into the R-object. Is it generally impossible?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frederic
>>

>    As far as I know (not having checked carefully), it's impossible --
> this is one of the advantages of JAGS/Rjags/R2jags.

Or use BRugs (only Windows, currently) which is a much cleaner interface
to the more modern OpenBUGS. This allows fine control and you can update
step by step and do some convergence analysis in between, for example. I
really recommend to use BRugs rather than R2WinBUGS for everybody who is
on Windows.

Best,
Uwe Ligges