[R] densities greater than 1 for values within an (0,1) intervall

Katja Hillmann katja.hillmann at wiso.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jul 12 18:58:32 CEST 2010

Hello,

I used the command kdensity in order to calculate the density of
fractions/ratios (e.g. number of longterm unemployed on total
unemployment). Thus I try to calculate the denisty of values less than
1. However, the values of the kernel densitiy R provided (y-scale) are
all greater than 1. Where is the problem and how may I solve it? Does R
have problems in calculating distributions of variables within an
intervall of 0 and 1?

Best,
Katja