[R] contourplot by year

Sally_roman sroman at umassd.edu
Sat Jul 10 23:58:46 CEST 2010

Hi - I have a dataframe with 4 variables - long, lat, temp and year.  I would
like to plot temperature by lat and long in contour plots by year.  There
are 391 data points.  When I try

contourplot(temp~long*lat|year,data=hake,cuts=10,labels = TRUE,contour =
TRUE,pretty = TRUE,region=TRUE)

I get plots with dots around by data, but not contour lines or filled in
regions.
I have also used the intrep function with image and contour which works
fine, but I have to subset by data by year first before I make the graphs.

I tried to use grid<-expand.grid(x=x,y=y) after reading some other questions
on Nabble about using contourplot with irregular data points.  When I run
the contourplot
contourplot(z~x*y|hake$year,data=grid,cuts=10,labels = TRUE,contour =
TRUE,pretty = TRUE,region=TRUE)
I get an error message in the plot:  Error using packet 4 no proper 'z'
matrix specified.

I tried to use expand.grid(x=x,y=y,z=z), but get an error message that R
cannot allocate vector of size 3.1 Gb.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sally Roman
Fishery Technician
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, School for Marine Science and
Technology
Fairhaven, MA 02917