[R] Using Ubuntu as a Server

Vojtěch Zeisek vojtech.zeisek at opensuse.org
Sat Jul 10 21:29:54 CEST 2010

Hi

Dne Sat 10. of July 2010 20:46:33 Leandro Marino napsal(a):
> *Hi,
>
> I want to know how can I configure R in a Ubuntu to be a server.
>
> I am planning to use R in a Windows machine with Tinn-R, but I want R
> running at an Ubuntu Lucid machine.
>
> How can i do this?

Install Ubuntu and set network and firewall (should it be available only from
inner network or from whole internet? etc). Decide if it is enough to login
via SSH (command line), You can also allow SSH X fowarding (enabling of
launching of graphical applications). Or, You can allow VNC to allow users to
login via remote desktop. It is good only for small network with few clients,
otherwise You need very good network infrastructure and strong server. Install
R and all needed applications around (stuff to compile, editors, LaTEX, ...).
You can restricted resources for each user using PAM or another tool like
that. Set user accounts, rights, ... For steps "how to set Linux server" I'd
ask somewhere else - ask someone experienced with it, on Ubuntu forums etc.
You need "only" SSH server (with or without X forwarding) and/or VNC server.
You install R as ordinary application -  the R does not require any special
care to serve as server.

> *Atenciosamente,
> Leandro Marino
> http://est.leandromarino.com.br/Blog (Estatístico)
> Cel.: + 55 21 9845-7707
> Cel.: + 55 21 8777-7907

I hope it help little bit. :-)
Best regards,
--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Charles Uni., Prague, CZ
Institute of Botany, Academy of Science, Czech Republic
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

http://www.natur.cuni.cz/faculty-en?set_language=en
http://www.ibot.cas.cz/?p=index&site=en
http://www.opensuse.org/