[R] Not nice behaviour of nlminb (windows 32 bit, version 2.11.1)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 21:44:42 CEST 2010

On 09/07/2010 10:37 AM, Matthew Killeya wrote:
>  nlminb( obj = function(x) x, start=1, lower=-Inf, upper=Inf )

If you read the PORT documentation carefully, you'll see that their
convergence criteria are aimed at minimizing positive functions.  (They
never state this explicitly, as far as I can see.)  So one stopping
criterion is that |f(x)| < abs.tol, and that's what it found for you.  I
don't know if there's a way to turn this off.

Doug or Deepayan, do you know if nlminb can be made to work on functions
that go negative?

Duncan Murdoch