[R] Column header strategy

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 00:35:29 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Addi Wei <addiwei at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hopefully simple question:  What is the best way to name, and treat factor
> columns for data that has lots of columns?
>
> This is my column list:
> id pID50 D.1 D.2 D.3 D.4 D.5 , etc. all the way to D.185
>
> I was under the impression from several R examples in pls that if you name
> your columns like above, you should be able to simply call all the D factors
> with "D", instead of going in and putting a plus sign between each column.

Hmm, I did not see this in the documentation (which does not mean it is not so).

If you want to have every column in the model except id, you could use
'.' all you would have to do is specifically remove the id column.
This becomes messier if you had another k set of E.1 to k factors.
See ?formula for how '.' works.

miceD <- plsr(pID50 ~ . -id, ncomp = 10, data = micetitletest)

> miceD <- plsr(pID50~D, ncomp=10,data = micetitletest)
> Error in model.frame.default(formula = pID50 ~ D, data = micetitletest) :
>  invalid type (closure) for variable 'D'
>
> VS.
>
> miceD <- plsr(pID50 ~ D.1 + D.2 + D.3 + D.4 etc. to D.185 , ncomp=10, data =
> micetitletest)
>
> What am I missing above that's causing that error message in bold?  Is there
> a better strategy for naming my columns in order to make R use easier?
>
> --

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles