[R] to remove duplicate values

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 6 06:27:29 CEST 2010

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Moohwan Kim wrote:

> Dear R family,
>
> Suppose I have two series.
>
> order value
> 1  0.52
> 2  0.23
> 3  0.43
> 4  0.21
> 5  0.32
> 6  0.32
> 7  0.32
> 8  0.32
> 9  0.32
> 10 0.12
> 11 0.46
> 12 0.09
> 13 0.32
> 14 0.25
>
> For these two series, I figured out the way to detect the locations of
> duplicate values.

You _asked how_ to do it on R-help and got several answers showing how to
do it.

That doesn't count as 'figured out how to do it'. You should give credit
where it is warranted.

> The next thing to do is remove the repeated values except for a value
> that would not be next to each other.

Well, that is what you should have asked in the first place.

The answer is actually simpler and need not involve duplicated().

Use one each of these operations

 	head
 	tail
 	!=
 	[

in that order and you have a neat one-liner that returns the original
data.frame without the adjacent duplicates.

And since I did not say exactly how to do it, you will be able to claim
that you "figured out the way" albeit with assistance. ;-)