[R] How to determine if R is 64 bit compiled under Unix-alike?

Stuart Luppescu slu at ccsr.uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 5 23:25:57 CEST 2010

On 月, 2010-07-05 at 19:25 +0200, Przemek Grabowicz wrote:
> Under MacOS I had R64 executive and it was clear. Under Ubuntu, which I
> do not have administrative rights to, there is only R executive. It
> seems that I can allocate more than 3GB of memory, however not
> everything seems to work the same/right as with R64 under MacOS.

If you can locate the R executable then the command "file" will tell you
right away. On my system (Gentoo), the R command is actually a shell
script that sets a number of environment variables, etc. and then calls
the actual R executable, which is /usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R (don't know if
this is the same in Ubuntu). File then gives:
file /usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R
/usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9,
stripped

--
CCSR in UEI at U of C