[R] selection of optim parameters

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 5 22:42:12 CEST 2010

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Fabian Gehring wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to rebuild the results of a study using a different data set. I'm
> using about 450 observations. The code I've written seems to work well, but I
> have some troubles minimizing the negative of the LogLikelyhood function
> using 5 free parameters.
>
> As starting values I am using the result of the paper I am rebuiling. The
> system.time of the calculation of the function is about 0.65 sec. Since the
> free parameters should be within some boundaries I am using the following
> command:
>
> optim(fn=calculateLogLikelyhood, c(0.4, 2, 0.4, 80000, 0.8),
> lower=c(0,0,0,0,0), upper=c(1, 5, Inf, Inf, 1), control=list(trace=1,
> maxit=1000))
>
> Unfortunately the result doesn't seem to be reasonable. 3 of the optimized
> parameters are on the boundaries.

You haven't said why this is unreasonable.

A suggestion: Profile the loglikelihood around the starting value and
around the putative maximum. (This might help with the parscale issue.)

Also, you might try something like

apply(rbind(0,eps*as.matrix(expand.grid(rep(list(c(-1,0,1)),5)))),1,
 	function(x) calculateLogLikelyhood( x + y ) )

where y is the starting value (or the value achieved by optim()) and 'eps'
is small enough to make small changes in the function value might help you
see what gives. (It might be necessary to scale each column in
as.matrix(...) separately, 'though.)

In addition to inspecting the results by eyeball, you can fit the results
to a quadratic form in rbind(...) using lm() and then figure out roughly
where to go to find the maximum of your function.

If this isn't enough to get you started, at least it might enable you to
say more clearly what is not reasonable about your results.

HTH,

Chuck