[R] K-means result - variance between cluster

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 11:56:51 CEST 2010

Dear Ralph,

between and within clusters sum of squares (if you want variances, you
need to divide them by the appropriate constant!) add up to the
overall sum of squares, so you can get the beween clusters ss by
computing the overall ss (one possibility to get this is to run kmeans
with k=1) and subtracting the within cluster ss from it.

Note, however, that the F-value cannot be interpreted in the usual way and
is particulary not F-distributed when computed on clusters from k-means,
because for F-distribution you'd need to assume that groups are determined
independently of the data.

Hope this helps,
Christian