[R] how to create a histogram from a matrix?

Peter Alspach Peter.Alspach at plantandfood.co.nz
Fri Jan 29 05:12:31 CET 2010

Tena koe Gabriele

read.table() creates a data frame not a matrix.  The distinction is
important.  A data frame is a special kind of list: it is a list of
column vectors all of the same length.  Because it is a list, each
column can be of a different type (i.e., integer, numeric, character,
factor etc).  A matrix is a vector with a dim(ension) attribute and as
such all elements must be of the same type.  Try:

library(lattice)
testData <- rnorm(100)
histogram(testData)  # should be ok
testData <- as.data.frame(testData)
histogram(testData)  # will generate an error
testData <- unlist(testData)
histogram(testData) # should be ok

HTH ....

Peter Alspach