[R] number of decimal

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Thu Jan 28 17:02:20 CET 2010

Looks like I didn't read your post carefully enough.
If you want some sort of global option to set the
display of numbers from any operation performed by R
then that's not likely to be possible without
capturing all output and formatting it yourself.
As the saying goes 'good luck with that'.

Note that options(digits=..) won't give you the
requested number of digits in all parts of, say,
print(t.test(x,y)).

  -Peter Ehlers

Peter Ehlers wrote:
> Ivan Calandra wrote:
>> It looks to me that it does more or less the same as format().
>>
>> Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly then. I would like to set the
>> number of decimal by default, for the whole R session, like I do with
>> options(digits=6). Except that digits sets up the number of digits
>> (including what is before the "."). I'm looking for some option that
>> will let me set the number of digits AFTER the "."
>>
>> Example: I have 102.33556677 and 2.999555666
>> If I set the number of decimal to 6, I should get: 102.335567 and
>> 2.999556.
>> And that for all numbers that will be in/output from R (read.table,
>> write.table, statistic tests, etc)
>>
>> Or is it that I didn't understand everything about formatC() and
>> sprintf()?
> You didn't:
>
> formatC(x, digits=6, format="f")
> [1] "102.335567" "2.999556"
>
> sprintf("%12.6f", x)
> [1] "  102.335567" "    2.999556"
>
>  -Peter Ehlers
>
>  >

>> Thanks again
>> Ivan
>>
>> Le 1/28/2010 15:12, Peter Ehlers a écrit :
>>> ?formatC
>>> ?sprintf

Peter Ehlers
University of Calgary