[R] color palette for points, lines, text / interactive Rcolorpicker?

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Thu Jan 28 16:37:36 CET 2010

I'm looking for a scheme to generate a default color palette for
plotting points, lines and text (on a white or transparent background)
with from 2 to say 9 colors with the following constraints:
- "red" is reserved for another purpose
- colors should be highly distinct
- avoid light colors (like "yellow"s)

In RColorBrewer, most of the schemes are designed for area fill rather
than points and lines. The closest I can find
for these needs is the Dark2 palette, e.g.,

library(RColorBrewer)
display.brewer.pal(7,"Dark2")

I'm wondering if there is something else I can use.

On a related note, I wonder if there is something like an interactive
color picker for R.  For example,
http://research.stowers-institute.org/efg/R/Color/Chart/
displays several charts of all R colors.  I'd like to find something
that displays such a chart and uses
identify() to select a set of tiles, whose colors() indices are returned
by the function.

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.