[R] Maptools runs out of memory installing the help files for spCbind-methods

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jan 28 12:55:19 CET 2010

This has been seen on two ubuntu systems, but cannot be reproduced elsewhere
- this is a first report for gentoo. The fix (found by Barry Rowlingson) is
to install with "R CMD INSTALL --no-latex maptools-blah.tar.gz" rather than
install.packages(), with the comment that perl was taking all available
memory when --no-latex was omitted. As package maintainer, I can't reproduce
this, as I have RHEL/f12 systems rather than Debian-based ones or indeed
gentoo, which here is showing the same behaviour. If someone could offer me
ssh access to a system with problems, I can try to see whether any of the
text in that file or its successor is unpalatable.

Roger

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway