[R] SAS Type 1 / Type 3 Analysis Equivalent.

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 28 05:49:35 CET 2010

Dear Kim,

The standard R function anova() produces sequential ("type I") tests; the
Anova() function in the car package can produce "type-III" tests (it
performs "type-II" tests by default), but you must be careful with contrast
coding if there are terms in the model related by marginality.

I hope this helps,
 John

--------------------------------
John Fox
Senator William McMaster
  Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

On
> Behalf Of Kim Jung Hwa
> Sent: January-27-10 10:44 PM
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] SAS Type 1 / Type 3 Analysis Equivalent.
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using glm() in R to perform Poisson regression, I'm wondering if its
> possible to get equivalent Type 1 / Type 3 Analysis (similar to one in
PROC