[R] Formatting cgroup and factor level labels in Hmisc latex function

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Tue Jan 26 19:54:18 CET 2010

stefan.petersson wrote:

> I'm trying to typeset at simple crosstable with the Hmisc latex function.
> And I have two problems.
>
> 1. How do I make all columns the same width? The Latex function seems very
> unwilling to break the 'cgroup' labels and the factor level labels. Please
> have look at this screenshot that shows my problem:
>
>  >> http://hem.passagen.se/stpe9096/table.png
>
> So, how can I make sure that the cgroup labels and the factor level labels
> are sufficiently line breaked and/or hyphenated to make the columns evenly
> spaced?

To force a fixed width, use a custom latex column format and pass it to the
latex function. If this does not solve the column break problem, manually
pass the column titles and insert a "\n". I have used the first version, the
second one might not work.

stefan.petersson wrote:

> 2. Is there something like a 'widetable' package that can break a wide
> table into several tables with repeated 'rgroup' labels? As You can see in
> the screenshot, the table runs way off the page. And I know that there is
> a 'longtable' package that can do exactly this, but for tables with long
> rgroup lists.

A workaround is to rotate the output with latex, or to use a smaller font.
Also, making the padding space columns in latex smaller can help.

Dieter