[R] exact wilcox test and Bonferroni correction

Meyners, Michael, LAUSANNE, AppliedMathematics Michael.Meyners at rdls.nestle.com
Fri Jan 22 16:23:08 CET 2010

(i) you EITHER correct the p value (by multiplying by 8 in your case) OR
you use the Bonferroni-threshold of 0.05/8, not both. If you correct the
p values, your threshold remains 0.05. If you use 0.05/8, you use the
original p values.
(ii) Yes, if the p value is 0.15, then the corrected one for 8 tests is
min(0.15*8, 1)=1 (i.e. all p values of 1/8 and higher will be 1 after
correction)
(iii) No, you can NOT AT ALL conclude that your samples are from the
same distribution. You have no evidence that they are from different
ones, but that does not imply that they come from the same (or a
similar) one. In particular as the power of the test can be assumed to
be pretty low.

Regarding (i), it might be helpful to search the web for some
information on Bonferroni correction, you could start with wikipedia,
but there are other resources around. Regarding (iii), I would strongly
recommend (re-)reading a good introduction into stats or consulting an
expert statistician. I'm afraid you are missing some of the basics of
statistical hypothesis testing here. To conclude "similarity", you'd
have to define first what exactly that means (you can NEVER show exact
equality), and then construct some appropriate test for that.

NB: I am sure that you won't succeed to show similarity with a
reasonable definition if you have just 10 observations, though. And for
completeness: If you were aiming at similarity, you should rather NOT
correct for multiplicity (while that depends again on what exactly you
want to show). But I think this goes far beyond the scope of this post
now.

HTH, Michael