[R] presence/absence similarities

Galanidis Alexandros agal at env.aegean.gr
Thu Jan 21 18:06:05 CET 2010

Greetings to all,

I have presence/absence data for species in plots in different years. My matrices looks like that:

YEAR1
    sp1  sp2  sp3  sp4
1    1     1      0     1
2    1     1      1     1
3    1     1      0     1
4    1     1      0     1
5    1     1      0     1

YEAR2
   sp1  sp2  sp3  sp4
1    0     1      0     1
2    1     1      1     1
3    0     1      0     0
4    1     0      1     1
5    1     1      0     1

I tried 'distance' in {ecodist}, 'vegdist' in {vegan}, 'jaccard' in {prabclus}, 'clujaccard' in {fpc} and others. The thing is that I don't understand the comparisons its method does, and consequently the outcome of the calculations. My final aim is to test for compositional disimilarity, doing a Mantel correlation Analysis, based on Jaccard similarities for matrices of species presences/absences between plots within a year and between years within plots.

thanks

---
Dr. Alexandros Galanidis
Biodiversity Conservation Laboratory