[R] Updating R on Linux

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Thu Jan 21 17:11:18 CET 2010

mauede at alice.it wrote:
> I know my question has been asked many times. Please, forgive me for asking it once more.
> It's time to update R version.
> I run R on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS/X.
> I think I remember on Windows R comes with the un-installer. So I uninstall it first and then I install the latest version.
> On Mac OS I have no experience of updating R ... I think (and hope) all what I have to do is to drag R
> icon from the Applications folder into the Trashcan .. This simple operation should get rid of all R
> files from all the folders where they are placed during the installation procedure.
> Linux is really the only platform where in the past I manged to mix up pieces from different R versions.
> My question is:
> how can I get rid of all the current R files before installing the latest version on Linux/SuSE ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Maura
>

> tutti i telefonini TIM!
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Hi Maura,

You don't need to get rid of your old R first in SUSE. If you manage R
through the package managment system of your distribution, all should go
well. Cran provides repositories with rpm packages with the latests R
version suitable for SUSE[1]. Updating your R should be fine using the
package manager.

cheers,
Paul

[1] http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/suse/