[R] What is the difference between S and R?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 16:44:47 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Giovanni Petris <GPetris at uark.edu> wrote:

> I have found a good refernce to be "S Programming" by Venables and
> Ripley.

I'll take a look at this book.

Since S and R are not completely the same, there are delicate
differences between S and R, which an S book may be confusing if I
want to learn R. One example is Statistical Models in S by Chambers
and Hastie, where some examples in this book is not applicable in R as
I pointed in my previous message to this mailing list some time ago.

Could somebody let me know if there is  a detailed comparison between
S and R to help me understand R better even if I use books for S?