[R] question about Software for Data analysis book

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jan 21 05:49:22 CET 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 11:10 PM, Erin Hodgess wrote:

> Dear R People:
>
> I'm sure that this is a very silly question, but I'm reading the
> Software for Data analysis book by John Chambers, and I can't find the
> "Declination" data that he refers to on page 15 in the book.
>
> I did all of the usual stuff:
>
> library(help=SoDA)
>
> ??Declination

I downloaded SoDA and did a search of the package directory. There is
code referring to the Declination column of a mars dataframe. Trying:

require(SoDA)
## requires mars data.frame
SoDA:::.getMarsData()

# I get an error

Then I see in the package docs:
"Details
Note that not all the examples shown in the book correspond to an
explicit example file. Also, some
of the data sets used are not explicitly open-source and so are not
included in this package. For
example, the mars data exists on the web as an Excel file; you need to
export that as a ".csv"
file to run the corresponding examples. "

Presumably you need to follow directions that are not in the package
docs but must be in the book.

--
David.