[R] weighting (survey) data

Vera vera.jester at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 16 01:11:58 CET 2010

Thanks for your help so far, everyone.

Thomas: I haven't looked very deep into the survey package yet, so I
don't know if what I'm looking for is actually missing or if I just
haven't found it yet.
What is "missing", from my point of view at the moment, is some kind
of global weighting function that allows me to set a weight and then
just perform different kinds of analyses without thinking about it any
more. (... this must be R's "steep learning curve" that I read about).

I'll try to describe what I want to do:
I'll be working with the European Social Survey datasets (for my MA
thesis). The data have to be weighted before doing any kind of
analyses because the sample sizes in the different countries aren't
proportional to total population sizes.
Analyses I probably will do include: contingency tables, measures of
association (Cramer's V), factor analysis, linear regression.
I've used SPSS so far and thus haven't ever had to look very deep into
what 'weighting' means, exactly.

Vera