[R] (no subject)

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 15 23:44:36 CET 2010

?Startup
Read this help page **carefully**. It tells you what happens when R starts
up. The profile file is executed with **only the base package loaded**, and
read.table is not in the base package.

If you replace your read statement with

data <- utils::read.table("data")

it would work (if there is a "data" file in the working directory. Otherwise
it will fail because it can't find "data"). (The use of the name "data" for
an R object is bad form, as Milton mentioned. But it is not the cause of
your problem).

Query to core team: As this seems to have come up several times recently,
should this be in the FAQ in a question like:

"Why can't R find the function called in my Profile file when R starts up?

(I'd be happy to write a first draft if so).

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics