[R] panel.bpplot

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Fri Jan 15 18:55:41 CET 2010

netrunner wrote:

> I am a newbie in R. I would like to use the panel.bpplot function on my
> data set but I have some problems. Can this function work on matrix? My
> data set have some NaN and when I run panel.bpplot function it returns
> error due to the presence of NaN. How Can I solve this?

You should never use panel.bpplot directly, but rather in a bwplot()
function. See the examples coming with the documentation in package Hmisc.
Used correctly, it has no problem with NA. In general, one would use it with
a data.frame, because grouping is often a factor.

If this does not solve your problem, please repost with a modification of
the sample below that shows the problem.

Dieter

library(Hmisc)
set.seed(13)
data = data.frame(x =rnorm(1000), g <- sample(1:6, 1000, replace=TRUE))
bwplot(g ~ x, panel=panel.bpplot, data=data)
# Add NA
data$x[1:3] = NA
data$x[data$g==6]  = NA
bwplot(g ~ x, panel=panel.bpplot, data=data)