[R] Can an object reference itself?

Janko Thyson janko.thyson at ku-eichstaett.de
Fri Jan 15 18:30:34 CET 2010

Dear List,

I am not really familiar with any other language than R, but I’ve heard that
in other languages there is something called “self referencing”.

Here’s what I’m trying to get an answer for:
Suppose there is a function that takes as its input a value of a slot of an
S4 object. The function itself is stored in another slot of the SAME S4
object. Is it then possible to have the function automatically “recognize”
the name of the object in which slot it is placed via some sort of “self
referencing” of the S4 object (to avoid having to explicitly state the
required function argument for different S4 object instances with different
names)?

I hope the following code snippets will give you an idea what I’m trying to
do:

obj.for.slot <- data.frame(a=1); obj.for.slot <- data.frame(a=100)
save(obj.for.slot, file="C:/obj.1.for.slot.Rdata"); save(obj.for.slot,
file="C:/obj.2.for.slot.Rdata")

slotfun <- function(obj.name)
{
	file.fqn.char <- paste("file.fqn <- ", obj.name, "@file.fqn",
sep="")
	eval(parse(text=file.fqn.char))
	load(file=file.fqn)
	return(obj.for.slot)
}

setClass(
	Class="Testclass",
	representation=representation(
		file.fqn="character",
		data="function"
	),
	prototype=prototype(
		file.fqn="blabla",
		data=slotfun
	)
)

test 		<- new("Testclass")
test.mod 	<- new("Testclass")

test at file.fqn 		<- "C:/obj.1.for.slot.Rdata"
test.mod at file.fqn 	<- "C:/obj.2.for.slot.Rdata"

test at data(obj.name="test")
test.mod at data(obj.name="test.mod")

I'm trying to have "slotfun()" be stated in a way that does not require an
explicit stating of argument "obj.name"):
test at data()
test.mod at data()

Any hints in the right directions greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Janko Thyson

janko.thyson at kuei.de

Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
Ingolstadt School of Management
Statistics and Quantitative Methods
Auf der Schanz 49
D-85049 Ingolstadt