[R] advice/opinion on "<-" vs "=" in teaching R

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 15 15:47:08 CET 2010

I've only been using R for about 2.5 years but and I'm not all that good  but I vote for <- .

I think the deciding factor is in  RSiteSearch() and the various manuals.

Almost everything I see uses <- .  Why introduce = when it is not used normally?  It will just confuse the students who are trying to use any of the documentation.

Not to mention they might slammed for bad syntax on the R-help mailing list.  :)