[R] Ask about large data set

Magnus Torfason zulutime.net at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 17:02:59 CET 2010

On 1/12/2010 8:29 PM, Yi Du wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is that okay to let R to read data set more than 10000 rows and
> use it to do some kernel density estimation? Thanks.
>
> Yi

Why don't you just try it and see? Nothing bad will happen - the
absolute worst case scenario is that R will hang.

But I can tell you that reading 10000 rows should be a piece of cake on
any decent computer. Different estimation techniques are different in
terms of computational intensity. Trying it is the best approach. If you
run into problems, you could come back with specific questions of
optimization.

Best,
Magnus