[R] R for windows 64 bit

Alexander Shenkin ashenkin at ufl.edu
Tue Jan 12 21:07:38 CET 2010

Hi Alessia,

Note that, while your physical limit might be 6 GB, Windows memory
management allows more memory than that to be allocated (aka Virtual
Memory, or at least that's what they called it in XP).  Windows swaps
out memory from RAM to the hard disk and back when necessary (please
excuse the explanation if you already know all this).  For processing
large vectors, this swapping might bring your system to a standstill.
Regardless, the "maximum" memory for a windows process is larger than
the physical RAM you have available.

allie