[R] Non-metric multidimensional scaling (NMDS) help

kellys17 seankelly999 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 19:28:31 CET 2010

Hi,

 I am currently working on some data and feel that NMDS would return an
excellent result. With my current data set however I have been experiencing
some problems and cannot carry out metaMDS. I have tried with a few smaller
data sets which I created for practice sake and this has worked fine.

 I think it is the set up of my data set that is causing me trouble. I have
18 columns and 18 rows, as needed for the n x n matrix. However, within the
data set I have a lot of zeros, i.e. more than just the zeros where column B
meets row B. Do I need to get rid of these excess zeros in order for metaMDS
to work?

 Any help is much appreciated,

 Seán Kelly.