[R] Solving graph theory problems with R ? (minimum vertex cover)

Magnus Torfason zulutime.net at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:34:30 CET 2010

On 1/12/2010 12:12 AM, Johannes Hüsing wrote:
> Tal Galili schrieb:
>> My specific problem is called:
>> Minimum vertex cover for a hypergraph
>
> I know nothing about the problem at hand, but on the Wikipedia
> page it says that the problem can be formulated as an integer
> linear program. There is an R packages that interfaces to a
> linear programming package (Rglpk), which may or may not
> help you.

There are also two graph/network analysis packages available for R,
'igraph' and 'sna'. I don't think either of them has a formal support
for hypergraphs, but it is possible that they could be jerry-rigged to
solve your problem. Even if not, the people involved may be able to
help. For example, the igraph mailing list (igraph-help at nongnu.org) is
pretty active and the developers are very helpful.

Best,
Magnus