[R] find the corresponding mean y

Greg Hirson ghirson at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 11 19:59:34 CET 2010

Annie,

If I understand what you are asking, you want to sample some number of
observations, with replacement, then find the mean of x and y for those
observations.

In this case, you would want to sample the row indices instead of the
values. For example,

     #test data
set.seed(1)
df <- data.frame(x = rnorm(100), y = rnorm(100))
     #sample from row indices
samp <- sample(nrow(df), 25, replace = TRUE)

     #get means for x and y
mean(df[samp,]$x)
mean(df[samp,]$y)
     #or
mean(df[samp,])

Greg

--
Greg Hirson
ghirson at ucdavis.edu

Graduate Student
Agricultural and Environmental Chemistry

1106 Robert Mondavi Institute North
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616