[R] lme4 and function 'cholmod_start' not provided by package 'Matrix' / Ubuntu

Esmail esmail.js at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 17:50:57 CET 2010

Hello all,

Using Ubuntu 9.04 and R 2.8.1.

For a project I need to use the Zelig package, which in turn wants to
use the lme4 package. When trying to use Zelig and it tries to its required
packages I get the following error message.

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   function 'cholmod_start' not provided by package 'Matrix'
Error in loadModelDeps(model) :
   This model depends on package "lme4". Please install this package and try again

However, library() lists this package:

Packages in library '/usr/lib/R/site-library':

coda                    Output analysis and diagnostics for MCMC
lme4                    Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes
Matrix                  Sparse and Dense Matrix Classes and Methods
MCMCpack                Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) Package
mvtnorm                 Multivariate Normal and t Distributions
sandwich                Robust Covariance Matrix Estimators
VGAM                    Vector Generalized Linear and Additive Models
Zelig                   Everyone's Statistical Software
zoo  ...

Trying to load lme4 directly with library(lme4) yields:

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   function 'cholmod_start' not provided by package 'Matrix'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'lme4'

I have looked on the web for quite a bit, but not found a solution,
what am I missing?

lme4 wants matrix version >= 0.999375-11, I have Matrix_0.999375-17,
and R >= 2.7 (I have 2.8.1). I notice that in the functions listings
for Matrix cholmod_start is not found.

(also for some odd reason, my system installs version Zelig 3.3-1 instead of
3.4-5, don't think this is a factor though)

Here are some specifics about my setup, I tried to be complete but I
am happy to provide more information if it would help.

Thanks!

Esmail

Ubuntu 9.04
Linux t61 2.6.28-17-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 1 18:57:07 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux

 > library(lme4)

Attaching package: 'Matrix'

	The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

	 xtabs

	The following object(s) are masked from package:base :

	 colMeans,
	 colSums,
	 rcond,
	 rowMeans,
	 rowSums

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   function 'cholmod_start' not provided by package 'Matrix'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'lme4'

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] Matrix_0.999375-17 lattice_0.17-26

[1] grid_2.8.1