[R] Building static HTML help pages in R 2.10.x on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jan 7 16:32:32 CET 2010

On 07/01/2010 10:00 AM, Michal Kulich wrote:
> On 7.1.2010 15:52, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> > Not necessarily.  The current help system can display information about
> > the current session, e.g. the result of ls(), as a simple example.  But
> > if you use a single background session you won't get relevant information.
> >
> > Duncan Murdoch
>
> Sorry, I must admit I don't get it.

A more useful example than ls() would be methods().   I think it would
be nice to have a list of methods included in the man page for a generic
function, and links to their pages if they have their own man pages.
You might want to list all installed methods, with some sort of
highlighting to indicate which ones are already attached, or perhaps be
able to toggle between installed and attached, or whatever.  None of
that is possible with static help, not even a list of installed methods,
because someone might install a new package that offers some others
after the static help has already been built.

You just need to use some imagination.

Duncan Murdoch