[R] xyplot - help with multiple Y's vs. X of a member data in multiple panels

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Tue Jan 5 02:07:56 CET 2010

Can you clarify how many curves you want in each panel?
You have 3 Ys and your original email indicated at least
7 ID values. Do you really want 21 curves in each panel?
Or do you want separate panels for the Ys?

Re your code: note that, regarding a formula of the
type y1 + y2 ~ x, ?xyplot says:

"This feature cannot be used in conjunction with
the groups argument."

  -Peter Ehlers

Santosh wrote:
> Hi Jim and others,
>
> I tried suggestions and somehow the graphs do not seem to be aligned on
> X-axis (i.e. they appear to be shifted on x-axis).. I guess panel.xyplot or
> panel.superpose is needed? I am not sure what the "group" variable be
> panel.xyplot, whether it is the "ID" or the "newFactor". I tried
> panel.xyplot(x,y,) with "group=ID" and "group=newFactor" and it did not
> work.
>
> Your suggestions would be highly appreciated!!
>
> Regards,
> Santosh
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:59 PM, jim holtman <jholtman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am not too sure if this is what you are after, but I just created a new
>> factor for the panel:
>>
>> # create a new factor
>> d1$newFactor <- factor(paste(d1$DS1, "+", d1$DS2, "+", d1$DS3))
>> xyplot(Y1+Y2+Y3~X1|newFactor,data=d1,group=ID)
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Santosh <santosh2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear R experts,
>>> Wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
>>>
>>> How do I go about plotting (using lattice) overlays of an ID (group=ID)
>>> observed, fitted data in each panel of a multiple panel plot (each panel
>>> identified by DS1 + DS2 + DS3)? "x" variable is X1 in the accompanying
>>> section of a dataset. each individual is identified by color and Y's are
>>> identified by "pch" or "lty".
>>>
>>> I guess the code goes something like the one below, but could not get the
>>> proper use of panel functions....
>>>
>>> xyplot(Y1+Y2+Y3~X1|DS1+DS2+DS3,data=d1,group=ID,...)...
>>>        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> --
>> Jim Holtman
>> Cincinnati, OH
>> +1 513 646 9390
>>
>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
>>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Peter Ehlers
University of Calgary
403.202.3921