[R] Assistance with boot() Package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 4 07:46:51 CET 2010

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, Adam Carr wrote:

> Good Evening R Community:
>
> I believe I understand the basics of using the boot() bootstrap
> resampling function in the boot() package. I have not had any
> trouble creating a boot.object to which I apply the boot.ci()
> function to calculate one or all of the available confidence
> intervals.
>
> What I am not sure about is if this set of functions can generate
> more than one confidence interval of one or all of the types
> available.
>
> I have a large data set (n=133,456) data set from which I would like
> to remove random samples of different sizes and then calculate 95%
> confidence intervals for the mean, 10% trimmed mean and median. I
> would like to determine how often the confidence intervals generated
> by boot.ci() contain the mean, 10% trimmed mean and median of the
> large data set.
>
> I have looked at some examples for using the boot() and boot.ci()
> functions to generate confidence intervals for the intercept and
> predictive variables from a regression model, but I do not, or
> cannot I suppose, determine how I can generate more than one set of
> normal, basic, percentile and BCa confidence intervals using these
> two functions.

Well, it can be done easily.  Studying the book for which 'boot' is
support software would be a good start, but a hint is to look at the
'index' argument to boot.ci: basically boot() can be called with a
'statistic' which returns a vector, then boot.ci() called on each of
the components of interest.  There is an example in MASS (the book) on
pp 225-6.