[R] R help question: How can we enable useRs to contribute corrections to help files faster ?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 16:06:33 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> On 28/02/2010 9:08 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca>
>> wrote:

>>> Not all of the information on that page would make sense locally.  Some
>>> of
>>> it is there to help you decide whether to download the package, or to
>>> actually download it.
>>>
>>> The things I see that aren't available in the package index page in
>>> R-devel:
>>>
>>>  - CRAN checks
>>>  - download links
>>>  - reverse dependencies
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?  None of those seem like they'd be sensible
>>> locally.
>>
>> By Index page I was referring to the page you get when you click Index
>> at the bottom of any HTML help file.  After clicking Index you get an
>> HTML page that gives a clickable list of help pages for that package.
>> You don`t get the description of the package, the name and contact
>> info to the maintainer, or a link to such info.  For the
>> helloJavaWorld package this is what you get (where I have added a star
>> after each link):
>>
>> Hello Java World
>> Documentation for package ‘helloJavaWorld’ version 0.0-6
>> User Guides and Package Vignettes
>>
>> Read overview* or browse directory*.
>>
>> Help Pages
>>
>> helloJavaWorld* Function to say hello from a Java class
>
> That looks like 2.10.x or earlier.  In R-devel (to be 2.11.0) you get:
>
> Documentation for package ‘helloJavaWorld’ version 0.0-7
>
>    * DESCRIPTION file.
>    * Overview of user guides and package vignettes; browse directory.
>
> Help Pages
> helloJavaWorld  Function to say hello from a Java class
>
> The only addition for that particular package is the link to the DESCRIPTION
> file, which contains most of the additional information that's on the CRAN
> page.  Other pages will also show links to demos and package NEWS.

That's great. Looks like you have already anticipated this.

Would still be nice to have

- a second link to the Index at the top of each help page since its
typically off the screen otherwise.

- also if the DESCRIPTION could be HTMLized with links that would be
nice.  The software that puts the DESCRIPTION file info up onto CRAN
already can do that so the capability seems to exist.

- a link from the Index or possibly right from each help page to the
help.start() page so that once you are in HTML you can just click
about rather than having to go back to R and then back into help.
Its normal in web pages that there is a link on every one of them back
to the home page.  Typically clicking the site name or logo at the top
gets you there.